This post may contain affiliate links and if you click on one of our links we may earn a small commission at no cost to you. As a participant of the Amazon affiliate program we will also earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
10 Handy Hand Tools You Must Have For Your Fabricating Shop.
My name is Gene Luoma. Having owned and operated my metal fabricating shop for many years I have purchased many tools and equipment over time. Because of this, I have learned which tools are great, which ones not as much, and which ones are more in-between.
- DEKOPRO ET00654 168 Piece Tool Box: This is in my opinion the best toolbox on the market. This is because 2 reasons: first of all, you get to save significant amounts of money with this box. The second one is that this baby has pretty much every tool that you will need in your metalworking journey. Highly recommended!
- Hacksaw 12-inch: I love hacksaws because they are a tried and true method of cutting diverse materials such as sheet metal. While not as precise as plasma cutting, you also save a significant amount of money using this instead. This is the hacksaw that I recommend. It’s super ergonomic and affordable, 2 things that I look for in my hand tools.
- Yost LV-4 Home Vise: not only do you need an effective table vise to cut materials as clean as possible, but there’s also something else that people often overlook: the safety! using a proper table vise is as important as using safety gear when working with materials. This Yost vise is the one that I recommend, and while this one isn’t as good as other models on the market, the other models on the market tend to be much more cumbersome and harder to use. This is a great model for anybody just starting out.
- ToolGuards 22pcs Ratcheting Wrench Set: Even though many people might think otherwise, having a complete set of wrenches handy is of utmost importance in these types of crafts. When it comes to these ones, they are a constant best seller for a reason: they are really well made. You can expect to have these for a lifetime, making this a well worth investment if you are going to be doing this over the long run or want to make some money off this.
- EPAuto 1/4-Inch & 3/8-Inch Drive Socket Set: The more modern alternative over conventional wrenches is buying a socket wrench. This is just a single racheting wrench that has interchangeable heads that will come handy if you need to travel somewhere to use them and don’t want to carry around a whole set of wrenches. It’s also in pretty much the same price range as the wrenches.
- Estwing Sure Strike Drilling/Crack Hammer: You are going to need a mallet if you are going to be doing more heavy duty work some concrete related projects. I would recommend that you buy this one. It’s a little bit more expensive than the other ones on Amazon but the added price is well worth it. The fiberglass handle will make it much easier to handle and use.
- Teng Tools Heel Body Working Dolly: Any self respecting DIY needs a good dolly, especially ones that tend to work a lot with metal. If you didn’t know, a dolly is used to a shape sheet metal to a desired form. I recommend Teng Tools because they have never failed me in all the years that I have working on the engineering and metalworking fields. I have about 5 years with this particular dolly, and I would recommend that you try it out!
- Crescent Wiss 9-3/4″ MetalMaster Snips: Snips are a must have for most plans & projects, and if you don’t have one yet, these heavy duty ones from MetalMaster will do the job. These are specifically made for metalworking, so it probably won’t be of use for other types of materials.
- Neiko 02638A 5″ Automatic Center Hole Punch: A Center punch is a tool used to create holes on metal and steel, and it’s also used for other kinds of things such as brreaking windows and more. There are a lot of crappy center punches out there, and I’d really recommend that you really try to get something more expensive.
- IMT Tungsten Carbide Tip Scriber 2 Pack: A very versatile tool, not only can you engrave tools with your name or any repeatable patterns in general, but it also comes with a magnet that will help you reach steel pieces from hard to reach places. This Scriber very sharp, making engraving a piece of cake.