Miter gauges are an ideal way of upgrading your table saw as well as cutting capabilities. This is an essential tool if you’re serious about table saws and want to finally achieve the most precise and angled cuts on different wood surfaces.
We’ve all had the unfortunate experience of making mistakes while cutting wood, be it with wrong measurements or erring slightly off from a straight edge.
Top 10 Best Miter Gauges
We understand this frustration and the need to finally remove any margin for error when creating certain angles and square cuts. That is why we have found the best 10 miter gauges to save you time and make the buying process a lot easier.
Our Top Pick Miter Gauge
Incra Miter 1000
This Incra miter is a quality piece of equipment that will be very beneficial to your woodworking projects. This miter includes features that will produce precise cuts of wood every time without fail to make the cutting and measuring process effortless.
The Incra miter includes 180-degree angle flexibility to allow you to stop at every angle to achieve the perfect angled cut of wood. This miter also includes a telescopic fence ranging from 18-inches to 31-inches. This gives you more flexibility when cutting a piece of wood and is perfect for beginners as well as pros to use.
Incra Miter 1000 PROS
- Constructed from quality materials – Offers durability and strength for long-lasting use
- High-class telescoping fence – Allows for more flexibility when cutting wood
- Includes laser cut parts – Provides more precise cuts of woods
Incra Miter 1000 CONS
- Pricey – More expensive than many on the market
Runner-Up Miter Gauge
KREG KMS7102 Table Saw Precision Miter Gauge System
With premium features at a very affordable price, the Kreg KMS7102 is an ideal choice if you have a smaller budget in mind. It offers premium quality for less than the premium price and will help you get the most accurate cuts of wood possible.
The Kreg KMS7102 features a vernier scale that allows you to adjust the miter by 1/10th of a degree as well as a micro adjuster that lets you make additional adjustments as small as 1/100th of a degree. This means you can get the most detailed and accurate cuts that you could possibly dream of.
Solid and durable, the anodized aluminum miter bar is ⅜” thick x ¾” wide with 5 bar adjusters so your material can fit securely along the miter slot and eliminate any chance of movement.
KREG KMS7102 PROS
- Excellent value for money – Premium quality for an affordable price
- A durable construction – Long lasting and strong design
- High-resolution protractor – Ensures you get precise and accurate cuts every time
KREG KMS7102 CONS
- Not as versatile as some – Difficult to use on pieces over 30” in length
- Heavy and large – Slightly bulky design which can be a little uncomfortable to use for some
The Rest of the Best Miter Gauges
POWERTEC 71005 Deluxe Table Saw Miter Gauge
The Powertec 71005 miter gauge allows you to make cuts at any angle you desire. You will be able to stop at certain angles giving you the best accuracy when cutting wooden surfaces as well as helping your grip and effectiveness.
Whether you’re a professional or a beginner, the mechanism behind this miter gauge is easy to use and suitable. Some miter gauges are not compatible with most miter slots but this Powertec model fits just about every one.
You are guaranteed to get your desired cut at varying angles with this miter gauge and you can use it with other table saw brands if required.
POWERTEC 71005 Deluxe PROS
- Reliable cut – Functions deliver a reliable cut for your desired angles every time
- Affordable – Comes with a cheaper price tag than many of its competitors
- Compatible with most miter slots – Highly convenient to use with different miter slots if required
POWERTEC 71005 Deluxe CONS
- May not fit with miter grooves – Could be incompatible with miter grooves making angled cuts a little trickier
Incra MITERV27 Miter V27 Miter Gauge
If you’re looking for a miter gauge with a more compact design, the Incra Miter V27 could be the right choice for you. This model can fit a wide range of table saws without any difficulty whatsoever.
With a low price and compact design, this is an ideal choice for a primary or secondary gauge when using smaller mobile table saws. This miter gauge is marked with 27 angled stops so you can precisely locate and lock pre-measured angles.
An angle-lock indexing system means your wood will be secure when in place without the chance of moving when being cut.
Incra MITERV27 PROS
- Affordable – Will save you money compared to many of its competitors
- 27 angled stop marks – Allows you to locate and lock pre-measured angles for added convenience
- Easy to see angles – Angels are printed on high contrast material for easier visibility against its metal frame
Incra MITERV27 CONS
- Not as durable as others – Metal is cheaper which may not last as long as other miter gauges
- Weak universal mounting brackets – Possibility it could break after extensive use over a long time
Fulton Precision Miter Gauge
Sometimes, all you want from a miter gauge is a crosscut angle. Some gauges can be very unreliable when indicating the correct angles but the Fulton Precision Miter Gauge is certainly a great choice for tackling this task.
This miter gauge has a thick surface with a range of adjustable options to get the best cut every time. Constructed with an aluminum frame, the Fulton precision Miter Gauge is durable and strong enough to last for many years.
With 13 slots built-in, you will be able to achieve a range of precise cuts every time you work on a project. Stops are included to help you cut the most accurate right angles when required.
Fulton Precision PROS
- Easily adjustable – Can adjust the head with a knob handle for getting accurate cuts
- Slotted holes – These are found on the body of the gauge to add more fence for secure cutting
- High-quality aluminum head – Very durable construction that should last a long time
Fulton Precision CONS
- Tends to leave a mark on surfaces – The bottom of the gauge can make a mark on surfaces leaving damage in some cases
Big Horn 14600 Standard Track Miter Gauge
If you’re looking for an affordable miter gauge with a small number of accessories, the Big Horn 14600 Standard Track Miter Gauge should be a consideration. It can take some time to get used to using some miter gauges but the Big Horn 14600 is as simple as you can get but with superb features and functions.
If you own a standard-sized table, you are ready to go with this miter gauge as it can fit on a standard ¾” x ⅜” track. The 14600 is compatible with many different saw models so you can set it up and start effortlessly cutting in no time.
It provides a small accuracy of 1-degree ensuring the cut is always precise and accurate. With a solid aluminum and steel build, the Big Horn 14600 will be cutting accurate edges for a long time.
Big Horn 14600 PROS
- Compatible with a range of saws – Fits most table saws but check with the manufacturer first to be on the safe side
- Very easy to use – Perfect for beginners as well as pros with a very straightforward design
- Steel and aluminum design – Highly durable for long-lasting use
Big Horn 14600 CONS
- No micro-adjustments – May not be able to achieve as accurate cuts as models with micro-adjustments
Incra Miter V120 Miter Gauge
Here we have another miter gauge from the impressive Incra brand. This comes with a compact design that has all the qualities you could hope for with good adjustability and accuracy.
You are guaranteed to be left satisfied with the accurate adjustments with the Incra Miter V120 gauge. Many gauges are made from low-quality materials that don’t last long but with the V120, you will be getting a gauge at a great value that is sturdy and durable, offering precision every time.
We love the 120 angle stop in this miter gauge that offers supreme reliability for accurate and efficient cuts every time you use it.
Incra Miter V120 PROS
- Highly reliable – You will achieve top-quality and precise cuts each time
- Reputable brand – Highly-regarded as one the best in the miter gauge industry so you know you’re buying quality equipment
- Solid and durable construction – Sturdy materials will withstand wear and tear for long-lasting use
Incra Miter V120 CONS
- Glidelock could be improved – Adjustments could be easier to achieve
Osborne EB-3 Table Saw Miter Gauge
Weighing 7.8-pounds, the Osbourne EB-3 Miter Gauge is extremely lightweight and portable. You will be able to fit it on most miter slots easily resulting in ideal use for precise cuts on wood.
This includes a telescoping fence for maximum precision and has 25.9” of length meaning it is perfect for fitting onto standard-sized table saws.One superb feature is its protractor plate so any errors in measurements are prevented for good. This Osbourne miter gauge also has a connection bar so you can connect it with a fence bar to get your desired cuts more easily.
Osborne EB-3 PROS
- Lightweight – Easy to use, store, and transport
- Excellent handle – Very comfortable grip to reduce hand fatigue
- Repeatable cuts – Easy to achieve these when requiring the same length cuts every time
Osborne EB-3 CONS
- Fence flexibility is a bit large – This extends more than 40” taking up space
Woodstock D3123 Heavy-Duty Miter Gauge
The Woodstock D3123 Heavy-Duty Miter Gauge is unique in that it also includes a miter bar for added strength and precision when cutting pieces of wood. This miter gauge can function in 60 different degrees thanks to its 120-degree scale so you can create perfect cuts of wood.
Weighing 9.9-pounds, it is a little cumbersome compared to others but this is due to its solid and durable cast iron construction with a stylish black finish.A comfort grip means you will be able to hold the miter gauge with ease while cutting and won’t feel any muscle aches after a long day of cutting wood.
Woodstock D3123 Heavy-Duty PROS
- Simple installation – Easy to set up and start using
- Helps to get your desired cuts – Design is ideal for accurate and precise cuts of wood
- Compatible with most standard-sized table saws – Shouldn’t have to buy another table saw so you can save money
Woodstock D3123 Heavy-Duty CONS
- Heavyweight – Harder to carry and move around
Woodworking DIY Tools Miter Gauge
For a lightweight miter gauge that is easy to adjust, look no further than the Woodworking DIY Tools Miter Gauge. Weighing only 3-pounds, the portability of this is easy for different jobs and storage.
We loved the 27 angle stops on this gauge that offers the best possible control on wooden surfaces. An angular adjustment means it helps position a block of wood based on your desired cut so you should get the correct cut each time.
You will find it easy to make spacing with this miter gauge to get your required cuts effortlessly.
Woodworking DIY Tools PROS
- Compact design – Results in effortless functioning and easy portability
- Compatible with bar miters – Always achieve accurate cuts
- Comfortable grip – Very convenient miter gauge that is easy on the hands
Woodworking DIY Tools CONS
- May not be suitable for novices – Best suited for professionals or those with more experience
There are numerous factors to look out for when buying a miter gauge. Let’s take a look at these below:
Miter Gauge Stops and adjustments
Miter gauges always come with different stops. this helps achieve precise adjustments when cutting materials. Correct stops should give you 1/10 or 1/100th of a degree of alterations to get your desired cut of wood.
Miter gauge bar adjustment
The gauge bar should always fit the miter gauge. Even if there is a slight difference on the slots, the final angled cut could change drastically and ruin your whole project.
Durability and quality
Whatever you spend your money on, you want it to be durable and of good quality.
Miter gauges should include laser-cutting components with top-quality materials to get the best cuts with the miter gauge.
This tends to depend on the type of project you are working on. Miter bars come in all shapes and sizes and can be either short or long. Both are useful for general tasks, but some projects may need an extended miter bar. If you intend to work on long pieces of wood, you should consider investing in an extended fence bar to be sure.
There are two options when choosing a material for the miter head. These are aluminum or metal. Aluminum is a reliable material but not as durable as metal. Metal gauges tend to absorb vibrations better than aluminum and are generally harder to flex so you can use heavier wood pieces if required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is a miter gauge important?
Achieving accurate cuts is very hard without miter gauges. Without the use of these tools, you could cut your projects at the wrong angles.
Even if this is marginal, it can have a detrimental impact on the finished piece and you may have to start again. If you want pieces to fit together perfectly, a miter gauge is essential for precise and accurate straight cuts.
How do you use a miter gauge on a table saw?
Table saws have a slot that runs along the surface of the table. This is parallel to the saw blade and this is where the miter gauge should rest when in use. The gauge face should be positioned away from you when in place so you can support the lumber as you move it through the cutting process.
You then adjust the angle using readings on the gauge and set your desired angle before locking the gauge into that position. Next, place the wood across the gauge’s front. Align the point that is marked for cutting and once the gauge is set, secure the lumber with your hand at the gauge. Now you’ll be ready to cut.